8 Man Crew

8 Man Crew
The Inaugural Intermediate Western Region Umpire Crew

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Day 7: Championship 2nd Base

Any team can beat any other team on any given day.  That has been the best lesson of this tournament.

Day 7: 2nd base

Arizona came out hot, Hawaii did not.  Hawaii had some really tough plays that they have been making all week but did not make yesterday, bobbles by the second baseman and shortstop.  The rest of the week, the middle infield have been vacuum cleaners, getting everything, throwing everyone out. They were still very good but they weren't making the plays they have been all week.  So Arizona went up in the first.  Hawaii kept it close.  So going into the top of the 7th, Arizona was up 5-3.  Hawaii got runners on second and third with some very timely hitting then scored on a beautiful suicide squeeze, making it 5-4.  Next batter comes up and and hits a sacrifice fly, making it 5-5.  Third out and Arizona gets to bat.  First batter hits a screamer to center field where the runner circles first and comes to second.  The throw comes in and... huge SAFE call.  My biggest call of the day in the biggest moment of the game to that point.   Strike out.  Passed ball gets runner to third.  Batter walks.  Runners on first and third, one out.  The batter is given the sign for a suicide squeeze (we were told after the game) so the runners were off on the pitch.  The batter missed the sign and swings away and bloops one behind the shortstop to end the game.  Arizona goes crazy, the batter runs halfway to first then turns around to start celebrating and then gets told to get to first base and touch so the game ends.  Even if he never made it to first and they threw it down, it was only the second out (although that would be an interesting situation --if they tag the runner past second on his way to celebrate then throw to first for the force, then no run would score and the game would continue -- that would be a huge Merkel replay.)

So the semi-finals and finals of this regional tournament was really some of the best baseball I have ever seen.  I am glad i was able to be on the field to be part of it.

Some of the things that our evaluators said was it was amazing to see the growth of our umpire crew between last Friday and yesterday in regards to our teamwork and rotations.  I will say that I grew so much this week as an umpire.  One of the biggest things is that all my hard work this season paid off -- this tournament showed me that I can hang with some of the best umpires out there and hold my own.  I performed well in high-pressure situations (although I thought the Alta Loma Sub-Division game behind the plate was more pressure for me than everything but the championship yesterday) and I wasn't afraid to call the tough outs and the tough safes.  My strike zone was better this week than it has been all year.  This tournament really has been my best work if I say so myself -- the results of 5 months of way too many games during the regular season and post season.

That sounds egotistical but I don't mean it that way.  Everything just clicked this week.

Right to Left: Scott (Right Field A), Jerry (First Base), Matt (Plate), Me (2nd Base), Dave (3rd base),
Ken, (Left Field A), Clif (Left Field B), Hussein (Right Field B)

So after the game, we sat down and the evaluators (Paul and John) said, "Ummm... we got nothing."  Everyone had an important call yesterday, even the outfield lines.  Everyone was in the action.  Everyone performed stellar and most important, everyone was invisible for the game.  The kids decided the game, not any one of our calls.  Matt did a fantastic job behind the plate.  I am proud to have been part of this crew and wish Arizona luck as they take on the world next week.  Enjoy Disneyland today though. You've earned it.  Me, I've earned going home and reuniting the family as we spent the week in three different parts of the country.  Can't wait.

I'm sure there will be at least one more blog with further thoughts but the games are done. Thank you for your encouragement and support this season.  Thank you to my wife for letting me make her a baseball widow way too much this season. I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment