8 Man Crew

8 Man Crew
The Inaugural Intermediate Western Region Umpire Crew

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Day 4: 2nd and 3rd

So yesterday, Monday, was a rain day in case we had make up games, which we did not, so it was a day off.  It was nice having a day off to do laundry, relax, and get up to San Bernardino to watch some Major Softball games.  It was relaxing.

Game 1: 2nd Base

I started my new rotation today.  I got to stay with Cliff and he is still amazing.  My new crew members are Matt, a 19 year old guy with a lot of experience and a great umpire, and Dave Raney, a ** year old guy with tons of experience.  Both of them are on their district staffs, so they help coordinate umpires, train umpires, and be professional.  They are great.  Matt was behind the plate for the Hawaii/Oregon game.  Hawaii ended up winning 19-1 and put the breaks on in the 4th inning, but they were pouring it on a bit after the Oregon team started using their catchphrase in a sarcastic manner.  It was in fun I think but it fired up a slow starting Hawaii team to score a ton of runs in the later innings.  Hawaii had a pretty good attitude through it all though.  Matt really is a fantastic umpire.

The crew did really well.  Matt ended up believing by the end of the game that Cliff and I were the good luck charms as both of our games ended before the other field, like every other game this week except one have done.  It is pretty funny that way :)

 Dave was behind the plate for the District 55 Host team and Arizona game.  Arizona beat them pretty handily, 11-1 with the 11th run coming across in the bottom of the 5th for an anti-climatic ending.  Dave went to Western Regional Umpire School with me back in 2012 with his grandson who umpires also.  He didn't think he did well with his game management but he did very well and kept the game moving.  I really, really like working with this crew as we have years and years and years of umpiring experience and the youthful exuberance of a 19 year old kid ready to take on the world with his immense talent and personality.

Saturday night, Dave shared that an umpire who went to umpire school with us, Bob, passed away in May.  Bob was the life of the school, with his energy and friendliness.  I really, really liked working with him on our team and I was heartbroken to hear of his passing.  The world lost a great man and a fantastic umpire.

Tomorrow I am on the plate for the Hawaii/Idaho game at 9 and then on first for the Oregon/District 55 game at 12:30.  Last day of pool play.  I'm ot ready for it to be done but I need to spend the next 5 months to be with my family before umpire season starts again.  Next year won't be the non-stop umpiring it was this year but I will miss it when I put the gear away on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment